Monday, June 22, 2015

Secular Parenting: Going to "Church"

secular parenting, SecularTv atheist parent atheist parent atheist parentatheist parent atheist parent atheist parent atheist parent atheist parent atheist parent atheist parent atheist parent atheist parent atheist parent atheist parent
I'm not going to kid you, I'm so thrilled with my new show The Secular Parents and I'm not going to pretend to be modest about it. I honestly feel like we (the cohosts, Be Asia, Rayven, and myself) are working hard to make the show relevant and interesting and useful. Your feedback would help, honestly!, but I'm proud of our learning curve.

Not only are we learning how to be hosts, we are also learning how to schedule guests, how to contact people to be on the show, how to prepare for a show, how to share the cohosting duties, how to manage the unexpected... We are also learning the technical side of the broadcast. We all find that part quite daunting, yet we have problem-solved some minor disasters!

10 year old Seth and Rayven
Tonight's show was unusual for me for...reasons. 
I am dealing with a quite severe nerve pinch in my lower back, with accompanying painful leg cramps; I'm taking a very strong painkiller and a strong muscle relaxer. Tonight I was pretty stoned during the broadcast. I couldn't think straight and I zoned out quite a bit. So much so, in fact, that when I went back to listen to it, I kept thinking I don't remember that part!  lol

14 year old John
But I consider tonight's broadcast a success! We talked to our kids about their experiences with church, religion, and the religious in this episode called TEC: Teens Encounter Church (Catholics might recognize the reference there). Our kids all had such interesting observations and thoughts on the matter. And the thing that I found the most interesting was their response to the question  
Do you think you could ever believe in a deity?  

Be Asia and 15 year old Essence
I'm not going to ruin it for you by telling you their answers, but I know that some very thoughtful parenting and some very thinking brains went into those answers.
Check it out.


The Secular Parents are planning on moving our live broadcast from our comfy Sunday evenings to Sunday Brunch format. We are hoping that that will be neat and will bring some energy to our show.  Here's a sneak peak at our new meme. It's not the final one because we recently asked Rayven to join us full time as a cohost (Woo hoo!) AND because the time is incorrect.  More on that when we officially announce our time change.

Have you listened to any of our broadcasts?
Your honest feedback is very welcome. We welcome opportunities to improve this project of ours.
In the meantime, we have some very exciting guests scheduled to be on the show...so we hope you stand by!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Links You Might Also Enjoy:
Being Out in the South
Independence Day: Free and Equal
PC Enough?
Why Compassion is not a Tactical Advantage
25 Ways to Pass "Love" and "Tolerance" on to your Kids

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!