Wednesday, May 8, 2013

On the Road



Elizabeth is old enough where, if we were back home in The States, she could be driving on a learner's permit.  But here in Brisbane she has to be 16 to drive.  Which leaves us in a pickle.  Well, it would be a pickle IF I were a rule follower, which I am not. I have been getting her behind the wheel for about a year and a half now.  I figure that more practice is better than less when it comes to St. Louis highways.
They are brutal!

I just want my American friends and readers to think about this.  How would you like to have your teen on the left side of the car, driving on the left side of the road?  Not to mention and roundabouts!!!!!!  She is doing pretty good now that she has gotten her courage up enough to give it a try.  The roads here are quite a bit narrower than the roads back home, so that is an issue at times.

It is a real adventure!

But I have a major concern with us getting back home and having to acclimate ourselves to driving on the right side of the road and in the right side of the car and on the St. Louis highways.  I'm sure that Elizabeth will have a problem with the adjustment, but I have to admit that it will be difficult for me as well.  While I have been driving for 35 years in America and only nine months in Australia, I often have dreams where I am struggling to remember how to drive.  LOL  And when I see movies or TV shows set in The States, I realize how mixed up I feel.

We are planning on a visit home in July, so I recommend all Missouri drivers keep a look out for a silver RV driving in the wrong lane down Hwy 255...



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If you enjoyed this post, you may also like:
Or you may enjoy reading:
Or try this one:

4 comments:

  1. The roundabouts are brutal. If your daughter is learning this, she is far ahead of most. Good luck on the 'right' side of the road.
    If you're St. Louis, you're just a couple of hours from us. Thanks for coming by my blog!

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. The best part of being an American driving in Okinawa? The many many times I would get into the wrong side of the car then have to pretend I meant to do that.

    No one ever bought it, of course. I'd have to get out, chin defiantly held high and walk the 'walk of shame' to the correct side of the car. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL...oh yes! I am familiar with the walk of shame. LOL

      Delete
  3. The best part of being an American driving in Okinawa? The many many times I would get into the wrong side of the car then have to pretend I meant to do that.

    No one ever bought it, of course. I'd have to get out, chin defiantly held high and walk the 'walk of shame' to the correct side of the car. :D

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment!