Thursday, November 11, 2010

TAG...you're it!





Someone sent me the FB "tag" to answer these questions.  Thought I'd spend some time with them here...and TAG, you're it!  Post a bit on yourself, let me know you were here...



 

1.  What prompted you to begin homeschooling?

It started with an innocent comment from a friend about how I talk to the kids and how I was already a homeschooling mom. I began to realize that she was correct. I started thinking about homeschooling when my daughter was in kindergarten.
I volunteered in her classroom one afternoon a week; it was the afternoon they went to the school library and heard stories read by the librarian. For THREE straight weeks in December, she read Jesus stories. I was angry and confused and upset as hell. No Santas, no snow, no reindeer, no Hanukkah, no dredels, no solstice.  Jesus. In a public school.
My daughter was confused and convinced that I was not telling her the truth.
It was awful and just enough to push me over the line.
That started it.
Now, the reasons why we homeschool today have nothing to do with those early reasons!

2. What homeschooling book/s have encouraged you in your journey?

Does it make me sound like a doofus if I don't read many homeschooling books anymore? I used to read every single one I could get my hands on to and I always ended up feeling totally inadequate...
I loved "Teenage Liberation Handbook" best in the early days of reading (eight years ago). 
Nothing lately, though.

3. Do you have a favorite read aloud?

The kids and I enjoy reading adventure series books aloud. We are currently reading "The Lost Hero" by Rick Riordan, one of his new series. We loved his other ones as well. And the kids and I finished "39 Clues" and enjoyed it tremendously. We also love reading poetry aloud. "Mandy" by Julie Edwards (Andrews).

4. If you could only have three homeschooling books/curriculum, which would you choose?

meh… I’m not much into text books. I collect them, but I don’t really use them. I would say various Kingfisher and Usborne books, literature books, dictionary.

5. Where can we find your favorite homeschooling blogs?


I don't have the time to read them, actually. But I love "The Dysfunctional Homeschooler" as I love THE dysfunctional homeschooler...

6. What do you to do to demonstrate continual learning to your kids?

Reading is a big one. I am almost never without a book or three within reach. I answer questions with, “Let’s look that up.” to the point that my kids usually just ask to look things up now. I also try to display a willing attitude to try something new. We’re forever going some place or doing something new, and I always try to remind them to take something away from the experience and we usually reinforce that at home with the next day’s lessons – even if it’s only a question or two. I am a continual learner myself and, although they tease me about it, they see it and emulate it.
We research major purchases together, check out news stories and background stories, science stuff...just everything, really!

7. What’s your favorite way to unwind after a crazy day?


Hot tea, reading, Facebook, movies

8. Is there a quote you find inspiring?

"Question Everything" and my absolute favorite quote, by Carl Sagan:  
Pale Blue Dot by Carl Sagan


Here are MY questions for YOU:

  1. What did you do to prepare for homeschooling?
  2. Where do you find your best support for homeschooling?
  3. Where do you encounter the most difficulty in homeschooling?
  4. How do you challenge yourself to be a better teacher?
  5. What is your schedule like?
  6. What has been your best accomplishment as a homeschooling parent?
  7. What item has made the most significant impact to your homeschooling?
  8. What is the most important thing that you want your children to come away with as a homeschooling graduate?

Tag. You’re it!

1 comment:

  1. And the dysfunctional homeschooler feels the same about you. :) *HUGS* Love ya!!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment!