Tuesday, January 14, 2020

Just One Damn Thing After Another


I was at the library on a rainy and cold day just passing some time. One of my favorite things is passing time at the library. I love exploring the stacks, reading in the reading room, ...being there. I usually stash my stuff somewhere, grab my reading glasses, and sit in front of a spot of the shelves and check out every single book on that shelf. 

On this particular rainy, cold day I was in the T section, novels with authors whose last names begin with the letter T. Think Tan, Theroux, Tolkien, Tyler, Turow.

I found a couple of books from a book series by Jodi Taylor, books number three and seven in an eight book series called The Chronicles of St. Mary's. These two books had the look of an early Rick Riordan book or Brandon Mull, teen books that I used to read to the kids back in their childhoods. Fantasy, adventure, excitement. I picked up the two books from the shelf and took them to the librarians to locate book number one from the series. 

I'm telling this little bit of the search for a book because of this bit: both of the librarians got excited about the books when I brought them up to the counter! We all looked at the books, getting more and more excited about them.  lol


From the cover it looks like a teen adventure series, but it is not for teens. It is definitely for adults. If the sex and language was removed from the text, it would be great for teens. As it stands, I wouldn't really recommend it for younger folks, and I'm pretty liberal that way...

The story is less detail and more adventure. The characters are less depth and more fun. The scenarios are less realistic and more fantastic. It's just a fun book to read if you have some time to kill. I wouldn't go out of my way to read this series if you prefer serious fantasy. 

BUT, if time travel, bumbling mistakes in times of crisis, and sass-appeal entertain you, you will not be sorry. I do plan on reading the next book in the series, A Second Chance.

I give this book six stars for the fun...and the romance.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!