Friday, April 10, 2020

Corona: Schooling at Home:


Hello Schooling-at-Home Parents!
Welcome.

I'm here to answer any questions you might have about having lessons at home with your children. If you have any questions for me, homeschooling mother of two now-college students, please write comments below and I'll answer them for you.

In the meantime, here are a few of my homeschool hints from the past:
  • Remember: your goal is learning, not being manacled to a schedule.
  • Watch Crash Course World History by John Green on youtube. When we do this we watch each episode twice: once for the entertainment value (which is considerable) and once to take notes and to really hear everything that goes by so quickly in John Green's inimitable repartee. We then Wiki everything we don't know, research the people, places, and events mentioned, and follow our own interests until they run out.
  • Relax. This takes time to figure out.
  • Live with the failures and the successes. Again, life is full of these moments every single day. Keep your cool and accept each moment as a life lesson.
  • Schooling at home give you some freedom to loosen things up a little bit. Do something unusual, ask your child what they'd like to do for lessons that day. When I've done this, I've always found my kids more willing to do the work and more likely to have more content to their day than I would have given.
  • Love them. Your children will bring the craziest things into your home and, somehow, you will be enriched for all of it! 
  • It's an unprecedented situation. Take a little time to relax into it.
    It will be OK.

I'm here.
I'm on your side.
You can do this!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!