Sunday, May 5, 2019

Every Artist was First an Amateur: Ordinary Things


Several years ago found a cool blog activity, a 30-day writing challenge associated with others who love the writing of Ralph Waldo Emerson. I'm one of those people who love Emerson's writing. In fact, the quote on the masthead of my blog (now covered with a fake Post It®️ note) is by Emerson and reads: Nothing is at last sacred but the integrity of your own mind.
Yeah, I still love that.

Anyway, I'm going to spend some time here on my blog doing some writing exercises from that blog that I found those years ago. The blog itself is called The Prose of an Electrate Mind and it was written by a young woman named Meredith who was a student of the humanities. I enjoyed her writing explorations and her photo explorations. She has, since, discontinued blogging, but I think I'm going to return to that writing challenge a bit. I can't promise you will be entertained by it, or even excessively diverted, but I want to do some writing myself and decent and compelling writing prompts are few and far between.


I'm beginning with a very simple one that I did a bunch of years ago and I'm going to do it again...just to get started:




Every artist was first an amateur.


To be an artist one has to find beauty in ordinary things. 
Find 10 things of great beauty in the landscape that surrounds you. 
For example, crumple sheets on your bed in the morning, 
the smell of coffee making its way around a busy office.


Ordinary Things by Karen
  1. The gentlest rain falling on new, green spring leaves.
  2. Holding hands.
  3. Children dancing.
  4. One person brushing another person's hair.
  5. The contents of the basket on a bike.
  6. Learning the definition of unknown words.
  7. Tree roots.
  8. Those little spreading circles made by a drop of water.
  9. Discovering a notebook on a shelf that has other papers and things stuffed into the pages.
  10. People in their own little world as they read a book.

Your Thoughts?
Your list of ordinary things?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You Might Also Enjoy:
What Makes You Laugh?
The Border
Cave of Forgotten Dreams

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!