Friday, July 18, 2014

Hobby Lobby, Visited

I am Still Homeschool Atheist Momma!

Today I did something that surprised even me.
I went in to Hobby Lobby.
I was in the position where I needed (OK, seriously wanted) a few pieces of poster board and Hobby Lobby was the closest thing to me. 

So I went in.  
OK?  OK.

These are the notes from my voyage inside.

It had been quite a while since I last visited this crafting behemoth. The only thing that seemed any different on the inside was that is seemed like Hobby Lobby has gone quite openly Christian with all things decorative, holiday, crafty, scented, and sticker. Maybe the chain has always been chock-a-block full of Christian effects and accoutrement and it hadn't slipped into my pea brain, but it seems that the store has stocked its shelves with everything evangelic and has gone down right Christian-mascot on us. Every single aisle that I meandered in my search for poster board displayed an abundance of virtuous goods.

And good for them.
In my opinion, they feel as thought they have won quite a victory for the Christian Right so why shouldn't they celebrate and bring out the baubles and knickknacks. I honestly celebrate their right to thrive in this republic-irrespective of my feelings about the politics of the owners and the recent ruling on birth control.


http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/92/85/bb/9285bb4bfd690fecb520c3ff8da38cff.jpgOn the other hand, the checker at the checking-out-station was SO snarky and simpering and unpleasant, the women standing at the door and gossiping were seriously dissing an absent acquaintance from their church (I know this because as I passed the group they clucked their loud proclamations of her ungodliness), a group of employees at the checkout counters were clearly overdue on bathroom or lunch breaks or something, and grumbling customers pushed their overloaded carts around.

I am honestly not selectively reporting what I saw. It was such an unpleasant experience that I had to pause to see if I was just bringing my politics into the mix. I don't think that I did, in this case. The experience truly was unpleasant. Disagreeable, even.

What good is the victory if the experience inside is so awash in bad feelings?

Just my trip today.
Yours might have been different.

On the bright side, I did see a super cute wooden rooster.

1 comment:

  1. I am Christian, and I won't set foot in there! And I AM letting my politics rule my feelings on this.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment!