I have given this alot of thought and I realize that homeschooling is NOT for everyone. As much as I believe that most people could homeschool the hell out of their beloved family I realize that it is not the right choice for some people for some very important reasons.
Here are the reasons that I have come up with. PLEASE FEEL FREE to add to my list.
- If you simply adore the selling of the pizza, gift wrap, nuts, cookies, posters, holiday cards, and other fund raisers, you should not homeschool. If going door-to-door, taking the order form to work, and delivering in the dead of winter is a bright part of your year, I would hate for you to miss out!
- If you enjoy making the same lunch look different each morning, you might miss that if you homeschool. I mean, who doesn't want to make smiley faces with apple slices, raisins, and peanut butter sandwiches?!
- If you whole heartedly agree with recent decision that pizza is, in fact, a vegetable, then please don't homeschool! We like to lump VEGETABLES in the vegetable group.
- If your children love the school breakfasts too, yum.
- If you sincerely love the morning round-up of the carpool,
- If your children love the fun of the school bus, including the kids at the back of the bus,
- If you and your children love the rules of the school system that guide your every move, you should not homeschool.
- If you enjoy handing the reins of your child over to a teacher who is holding 29 other sets of reins...for over six hours a day,
- If you love that early morning WAKE UP routine,
- If you enjoy the parent/teacher conferences where your child's teacher shares successes and goals with you and decides what is important in your child's learning career,
- If it is OK with you that your teacher knows more about your child's day than you do,
- If your child enjoys being a "Wallflower", "Bully", "Brain", or any other label,
- If you think that being bullied prepares a child for life,
- If you think a classroom full of 26 other ten-year-olds is "an environment conducive to learning",
- If you don't mind paying for school pictures, supplies, new clothes, books, Kleenex for the teacher, valentines, art fee,
- If you don't mind your son coming home telling you that Josh's brother told Josh where babies come from that Josh shared that nugget with your son,
- If you think your child will learn best from his seat,
- If you have a problem with books on your kitchen table, under the bed, on wall-spanning bookshelves, and every other level space in the house,
- If you enjoy the past-bedtime freak out of not having the project done for tomorrow,
- Or the two hours of homework each night,
- Or if you enjoy your kids having to check with their friends before they can make up their own minds,
- If you enjoy drilling a sobbing child in multiplication tables,
- If you don't mind your child being around "the seven deadly words" each day,
- Or the depression of the Friday spelling test,
- If you have a problem with the grocery story lady asking "are the kids off of school today?",
- If you prefer having your kids SOMEWHERE ELSE,
- If you don't mind the forgotten lunch, back pack, permission slip,
- If you dislike rainy days in pajamas and reading books together,
- or if you simply don't like them then you probably shouldn't homeschool.
Look, I admit that a bit of this is tongue-in-cheek and I have many public schooled kids that I ADORE.
But don't miss my point:
YOU CAN DO IT!
It will be different and it will not look like school
and you CAN do it!