Monday, December 3, 2018

Kindred by Octavia Butler


I've been reading quite alot lately, mostly post-apocalyptic thrillers and the like (for some WEIRD reason! lol) but I've finally the need to switch gears. Having no idea where to go next, I picked up these books at the library this weekend and, because they all sounded fascinating, I deliberated on which book to read first for a day or two! I read reviews and Amazon pages and looked through each book; it was a tough call! I finally chose the winner: Kindred by Octavia Butler (1979).

The reviews on Amazon are extremely high, the time travel/historical fiction idea is interesting and unique, and the subject matter is compelling.

Dana, a 1976 feminist woman, is, several times, transported through time and space to Maryland in 1815, at the height of slavery times. As a black woman, she is treated with disrespect, disdain, and, eventually, fear as she can both read and write, she is obviously educated beyond what most white people were from that time, she is wearing pants, and she knows events from history that are not known to the common man of the time. Dana fears for her own safety, as well as the safety of people the she discovers to be her ancestors.


At this point, I am about half way through, I am hoping that her ancestor Rufus becomes a much better version of himself after meeting Dana and being influenced by her. I'm hoping to see a reunion of two characters who have not seen one another in many years, and I'm hoping that the writing improves. The story itself is keeping me very interested while the writing is a bit disappointing and lackluster.

I should be back in a day or two with my review.  😊


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!