I have added a few titles myself, those in red and a few links in blue.
These are just some of the items I have come across, I’m sure as the free-thought community continues to grow we will have the pleasure of more materials to aid us in our parenting. Never underestimate the power of a library card either. Lining your local library are books by Thomas Paine, Isaac Asimov, George Orwell, and Ayn Rand just to name a few, all of which offer older children a wealth of knowledge and plenty of ideas to mull over and consider.
Books, CDs, and DVDs (For Children)
- The Story of Everything by Neal Layton
- Born with a Bang: Book One by Jennifer Morgan
- From Lava to Life: Book Two by Jennifer Morgan
- Mammals Who Morph: Book Three by Jennifer Morgan
- Marduk the Mighty And Other Stories of Creation by Andrew Matthews
- The New York Public Library Amazing Mythology: A Book of Answers For Kids by Brendan January
- Maybe Yes, Maybe No by Dan Barker — my oldest has read this a few times on his own accord and loves it. It is very easy to read and promotes seeking out honest, truthful answers.
- Maybe Right, Maybe Wrong by Dan Barker
- Humanism, What’s That?: A Book for Curious Kids by Helen Bennett
- What Darwin Saw: The Journey That Changed The World by Rosalyn Schanzer
The next four books are graphic novels and I would recommend the last one by Mark Schultz for older children — about 10 and up-depending on the child’s interest — due to the heavy science content which younger children may find a bit long, boring and difficult to digest.
- The Sandwalk Adventures by Jay Hosler
- Optical Allusions by Jay Hosler
- Clan Apis by Jay Hosler
- The Stuff of Life: A graphic guide to genetics and DNA by Mark Schultz
- Here Comes Science by They Might Be Giants CD/DVD combo — we absolutely love this CD/DVD combo. Their song Science is Real features the following lyrics: “I like the stories about angles, unicorns, and elves-Now I like the stories as much as anybody else-But when I’m seeking knowledge-Either simple or abstract-The facts are with science-The facts are with science” I can’t think of better lyrics to jam to on a lazy Saturday afternoon and the children love it!
- Parenting Beyond Belief by Dale McGowan
- Raising Freethinkers: A Practical Guide for Parenting Beyond Belief by Dale McGowan, Molleen Matsumura, Amanda Metskas, and Jan Devor
- Living in the Light: Freeing Your Child from the Dark Ages by Anne R. Stone
Websites and Blogs for Parents
- Foundation Beyond Belief
- The Ethical Society of St. Louis’ Resource Page
- The Meming of Life — Dale McGowan, the man behind Parenting Beyond Belief and Raising Freethinkers, writes this blog. If you check his “links” section you will discover a long list of useful books, CDs, and DVDs to help in raising a happy freethinker.
- Homeschooling Freethinkers — is a great website for those who are using “alternative” education. This is the route our family has taken and Homeschooling Freethinkers is the first site I check whenever I’m looking into new materials. There is also a Facebook group for freethinking homeschoolers.
- Greater Good: The Science of a Meaningful Life
- Charles’ Playhouse — they sale quality evolution products, including an amazing play-mat timeline and clever apparel for all ages.
- Podcast for Parents
- Parenting Within Reason
- Happiness Matters Podcast
- The Greater Good Podcast — Both Happiness Matters and The Greater Good podcasts are run by The Greater Good Science Center.
I was enjoying it and thought to pass it along!