Thursday, February 28, 2019

My Pillow: A Review of Sorts


Completely unbeknown to me, I bought into an item sold by a self-proclaimed Christian company. In and of itself, not a problem. But there's more and, last night, I realized that I was annoyed enough to write about it here on my blog.

I'm on a lifelong search for a decent pillow. My closets contain about ten rejects ranging in price from a few dollars to up to a hundred dollars. YES, I did that.  😒 
I simply want a pillow that I can sleep on with a modicum of comfort. 
No miracles necessary.

A few months ago I was, again, on the warpath with my pillow. I was waking up with neck aches, cricks in my neck, and just poor sleep, so I went to a local home store. This place has an entire department just for pillows. It seemed like a likely place to find something just right for me.

I did my Determined  Shopper best to lay my head on each pillow, all while leaning vertically against various store fixtures, looking for firm but not too firm, soft but not too soft. Comfy. Durable. Perfect for side sleepers. At one point I remembered seeing this woman*  walk into the store with a determined stride and walk up to the check-out with two My Pillows. So I, foolishly, decided at that moment to give it a try.I mean, the pillow bag itself claims Guaranteed to be the Most Comfortable Pillow You Will Ever Own!  That sounded good to me!

I had no idea I was buying into a controversy.
I thought I was buying a pillow.
I had never heard of the brand; I had never heard of the company. I knew of no claims made by the company. I knew nothing about the pillow reviews or controversies. I knew nothing of pricing issues. I definitely didn't know the story behind the company owner.
It was just a pillow.
That cost me about fifty bucks.  😑

For at least two weeks, maybe three, it was quite comfy, if a bit firm or overstuffed, as many pillows seem to be in the beginning**. Very soon, however, I began to wake up with my head floating just an inch above my mattress, the pillow puffed up on either side of my head. My head was actually engulfed  by the pillow. Weird.

I kept with it and started simply pushing the sides together to give me a nice comfy lump in the middle...only to find that collection of fluff off to the sides again by morning, head nearly resting on the mattress, engulfed in pillow. It simply couldn't hold its pillow shape. And finally, it always seems so hot! I guess it holds the heat in, meaning I have to flip it and scrunch it every time I think about it.

And now here I am, about six months later, actually writing a review on my blog for this thing! I now know that the company has had to pay upwards of a million dollars for false claims. If I hadn't read so much about the company and the false claims I would have simply stuffed this dog into the closet for some unsuspecting sleepover guest.


I'm now in the market for my next pillow.

 Have you tried it?.
 Suggestions for pillows?.


* I now think that her bouffant-ish hair style should have given this away to me... Sorry bouffant wearers.
** WHAT?! I told you I'm a pro at test driving pillows!


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You Might Also Like:
More of My Music for Mary
I'm No Economist...But...
Perspective: You Matter

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!