Monday, June 17, 2019

Rorschach Revelations


The other day I was reading stuff on social media when I ran across a story of some minister dude just blazing "the gays". This minister was shouting stuff about the book Leviticus from the Old Testament of the Christian holy book while standing on the side of his little cardboard pulpit while other dudes in the folding chair pews were shouting hostile "AMENs" and stuff. I just scratched my head.

Not only do I not understand the vehemence of their derision (though I think I do... 😠...and OMGOD, this one.), I don't understand why they are reading so little of their special book.

Have you seen a Bible lately? The standard KJ version of the Bible has over 1000 pages, all with writing on them! I'm saying that of the SIXTY books in the standard bible King James and the over 31,000 verses of the book (that's more than 23 thousand OT and nearly 8 thousand NT), these people are maniacally focused on ONE verse.

Why?

Why not focus on some of these verses from KJ?:

But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only,
deceiving your own selves.
James 1:22

Get wisdom, get understanding: forget it not;
neither decline from the words of my mouth.
Proverbs 4:5

Riches profit not in the day of wrath:
but righteousness delivereth from death.
Proverbs 11:4

And forgive us our debts,
as we forgive our debtors.
Matthew 6:12

Create in me a clean heart, O God;
and renew a right spirit within me.
Psalm 51:10

Wash you, make you clean;
put away the evil of your doings
from before mine eyes; cease to do evil.
Isaiah 1:16
 

By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, 
if ye have love one to another.
John 13:35

And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, 
forgiving one another, 
even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you.
Ephesians 4:32


I ask the question, yet I think I know the answer.
I see the Bible and other books of that nature as a type of Rorschach test, if you will. In case you don't know what a Rorschach Test is, it is an instrument that psychoanalysts in the 1960s (mostly) used to use with patients. Often called the Inkblot Test, it is a set of cards with random patterns and shapes that are presented to the client. The client then describes what the inkblot looks like to him or her, thereby, so the old wisdom suggested, revealing something about the subconscious or personality of the patient.


Why is the Bible a Rorschach test?
You find what you are looking for. You find what you seek.
It is your interpretations that give a thing meaning.

YEEEARS ago I used to open the Bible to random pages and read there. And I would be AMAZED to discover that that particular page held some special words that addressed what was in my heart. I believed this and, yes, I would KEEP READING until I found those special words, meant as guidance just for me...it's a little bit like that too.


My point being, of course, that we find what we are looking for. And those dudes who are so very disgusted, angry, ...focused on homosexuals, seem to me, to be revealing something of themselves.
 

And, know what, Gay Clergy? BE GAY. DO YOU.
But then have the courage and the integrity to fight the religious shackles that have you caged and bound in their hateful, violent dogma. And fight for the abolishment of all religious policies that require abstinence for clergy.

After all, you're only human.




What do YOU think?

 Ironically, I just saw this meme on Facebook:



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You Might Also Enjoy:

Barbara G. Walker: Atheist Feminist Knitter
Atheists Know There Really IS a God
Karen Armstrong
Sex, God, and Shame

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!