Friday, December 13, 2019

Little Nothing by Marisa Silver


Is it a fairy tale, a folk tale, an allegory, an ode?
I couldn't say. Perhaps it is all of these.

Unexpectedly.

I stumbled upon this title one day while roaming the shelves of my local library. I had read nothing else by Marisa  Silver, nor had I heard of the book before checking it out.  I had about ten minutes to grab a book from the library as I was going out of town for a few days and needed something to pass some time. Little Nothing by Marisa Silver grabbed my eye based on the unusual story line from the flap.

The basic story began as many childhood fables begin, with a childless couple longing for a child. This older couple from an unnamed country in the later part of the 19th century, I think, takes their desire for a child to a local witch and do, in fact, give birth to a child, a child who turns out to be born with dwarfism. In spite of their love for their child, they do, eventually return to the witch after seeking help from medical professionals, seeking to elongate their daughter. 

Through the black magic from the witch, the little girl, Pavla, experiences a number of transformations, seeking a life worth living. Her experiences, as well as the assistant of one of the country doctors, Danilo, become the central figures in the narration. Pavla and Danilo become strange and wonderful friends and, through the magical transformations and the progression of life, they are drawn apart, far apart, as we long for their reunion and for a happy ending.

Medical quackery and black magic play a part on both the pain and abuse suffered by Pavla as well as in her need to be happy and connected, to find meaning. I don't wish to give away any specifics of the story, but I do highly recommend this wonderful and surprising tale of magic and nature. I enjoyed the beautiful writing as well as the shocking parts. Some of the writing felt poetic and lyrical and that always draws me in. In short, I found Little Nothings to be a surprising tale of magical realism that kept me awake long into the night when I should have gone to bed far earlier. And, for that sleep loss and those pink morning skies with this book before my eyes, I award this novel eight stars. Check it out!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!