Saturday, December 14, 2019

SONS: Bear With Me


The slow roll of time.
It is the exquisite torture of a mother.

When the kids were small, I remember the common knowledge that a parent can't be a friend to their child. Well, I strongly beg to differ, for my children are among my best of friends. And, as time rolls forward, I view them even more and more as my friends. 

When John was a small little guy, it became very obvious to me that he was beautifully left-brained and remarkably right-brained at the same time. That combination makes him an astonishing combination of my husband and I somehow... My amazement with and appreciation for him has grown with his expanding maturity.

John and I spend a great deal of time together. We share stories, laughs, cries, conversations, and adventures. He and I enjoy our road trips and lunches and conversations. We tell each other nearly everything and we respect one another's privacy and space, while having a very comfortable closeness. John and I are best friends.
Yes, this boy has grown up into my dear friend.




Last week John John and I drove a few hours away for a campus tour as we're looking for a place for him to spend his final two years of college, his junior and senior years. We took a few days in the town to see what life would be like there. We saw a parade, saw a show at the theater on campus, had a few meals in town, walked the campus quite a bit, had a meal in campus eateries, and laughed ourselves silly a few times. We even cried a bit...
The campus looks wonderful.


And that is why I've been nigh on tears almost constantly for months now. He will leave. He will grow away. He will go. And I must encourage it, of course I do encourage it.

And in the meantime, time rolls forward.
The exquisiteness of each moment, each second that passes...


In my honesty sharing this here, I know you will do all you can to understand, even if you have a differing opinion from me about befriending your children. Besides, I would defy any of you to not befriend Sweet John John. And YES, of course, my husband is also my best friend and my kids have their own groups of friends with their BFFs. 
😉


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You Might Also Enjoy:

Parents' Weekend

Love and Pride for Elizabeth and John
Transitions
Dear Reader

1 comment:

  1. Hugs to you. I know this time will come for me, and I cheer it and dread it in equal parts.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment!