Friday, January 17, 2020

Special Books by Special Kids


Let me introduce you to Chris Ulmer.
Chris is a guy who, after graduating from college with a communications degree, ended up accidentally creating a Youtube channel that, in my opinion, probably transcends anything he ever conceived it to be. The channel is called Special Books by Special Kids.

In the beginning Chris was hoping to create books. The support for that did not come as he had hoped, but his secondary efforts, creating videos, took off. Here's what his content consists of, and why.


After graduating, Chris took a job as a special education coach, and then teacher in Kentucky. Though some might think he had taken a job outside of his field, Chris thrived. He fell in love with the work and with the students in his classes. After awhile he wanted to share these kids with others; he wanted others to love the kids as he had grown to love them.

So he created, by process, Special Books by Special Kids.



This is Chris
and his family
My first video by Chris was an interview he did with Daniel, a young man who lives with schizoaffective disorder, as well as several other disorders. Daniel was a wonderful subject for this interview because he is very honest and earnest. Daniel explained both his experiences on a daily basis with having a mental illness that causes hallucinations and delusions as well as his longer term struggles and hopes. He also told us some of his very favorite things, some simple and obvious ways to interact with him in order to learn more or to befriend him, and he expressed his difficulties and pleasures in a regular day for him.

I learned so much about Daniel, about what his experience with schizoaffecive disorder is, and about what a unique and good person he is. I think that is what Chris has in mind for his hundreds of video friends. He wants us to learn from their courage that these people are...people. Each person has normal wants and desires. Each person is living a life that is, in fact, normal for them. Each of us learns to live within our own lives, right. None of us wants or needs pity. We all simply need love.

*
Yes, that's it. If I were to break down everything I've learned to far, it is that we all need love. Simple as that. And friends.
If I mean well, then all will be well.


I know that the last thing that Chris would want me to take away from his work is what an amazing human he is, or anything else about him; but he is. I do take that away. I take this away because he's done something remarkable in my life, in my heart. He's used this platform of Special Books for Special Kids to teach me to be far more open and willing and interested in being friends with more people of a variety of abilities. I plan on going out into the world and making that happen. And I thank him for that. But don't worry, Chris, I'm taking so much more away too.

*
I've also learned how to approach someone who looks different from me, who is differently-able than I am. I've learned that most people are open and willing to make connections...though some people aren't. You know, like real people. Some people are open and willing and some would prefer their solitude. I can dig that.

Some of Chris's friends have genetic disorders or chromosomal disorders, mental illnesses, birth disorders, major injuries from experiences in their lives, so many other challenges, and some of Chris's friends live with situations and challenges that are completely unique to them**. Some of his friends are verbal, some non verbal. Some are infants, some are children, some are teens, some are adults. I have, now, watched about thirty videos with Chris interviewing his friends and, bar none, I have felt love and affection and sincere respect for each person in each video. From the friends and their families and Chris, I feel very...fulfilled. Enlarged. Informed. Motivated. Connected to the wide world of humans.

And, since I just watched a video with Michelle about five minutes ago, I must say, I laughed so much and felt touched by her wonderful personality, humor, and spirit...but not her sass. Nope. 💜


Youtube, in its WEIRD and unexplainable policies, has turned off all comments on nearly all of the videos on Chris Ulmer's channel. And that is too bad. So I'm writing this HERE and hoping that Chris and his friends from his videos find their way here and know that I appreciate their courage, their kind and loving hearts, and their sincere effort to share with us. With we humans out here who are, in our own ways, also handicapped, disabled, disadvantaged, wounded, ...healing. And human beings simply looking for love and friends.

Thank you, Chris.
Thank you, Chris's friends.

* I sincerely hope the public images here are OK with those in the images.
** When I came back to this post to add links, I rewatched some of the videos and just fell in love with so many of these kids again!  💜🤟😀 So check them out!


I need to include this link: 

The SBSK Guide to Inclusion and Mindful Teaching
(A Must See for Parents and Educators)


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You Might Also Enjoy:

There are Hateful People Out There
Build a Bridge
Do What Needs Doing

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!