Sunday, April 28, 2013

My Parenting Manifesto

atheist blog atheist parent atheist parent atheist parent atheist parent atheist blog atheist parent atheist parent atheist parent atheist parent 
I was reading on the Parents Beyond Belief website when I came upon a blog post by Tessa Tinney of the blog called Raising a  Skeptic. In that post Tessa takes some time to create a parenting manifesto of what she intends and promises to be and do for her children as they grow.

I like it that she took that time to put into words her parenting purpose. I want to do this. Here is my similar piece. I am writing this piece before reading Tessa's version of it so that I do not use her words at all; any similarities are serendipity.


To My Children:

I promise to model kindness, acceptance, community, a "can-do" attitude, and how to believe in yourself.  I promise to make every effort to instill a love of world justice in you.  A focus on ethical awareness and social justice is key in creating a peaceful world.

I promise to support and encourage the person that you are, without attempting to change the kernel of you.  By loving your individuality, I believe you will grow to pass love and acceptance on to the world around you.
I promise to help you remember to value the difficult times as learning opportunities.  Seeds of success are sown in darkness and doubt.  I believe your successes and your pride and sense of self will come from the struggle.  While I promise to offer you every advantage I have at my disposal, I promise to not make your life too easy or too comfortable.

I promise to show you honesty and authenticity in all things.
I promise to remind you every single day that each day is your day.  That this very moment is here and now and to make the most of it!  And even more, remember that this moment, it is necessary to embrace it, do your best in this crystal moment.  Whether it means apologizing, rebuilding, renewing, resting, or something else, this is the only moment.  So avoid hurting others.
I promise to teach you the power of word, thought, and intention.  
I will always tell you the truth.  I will, to the best of my ability, show you all sides of an issue and show you how to see issues as transparently as possible.  I will show you my love of learning, researching, gaining a better understanding, and critical thinking.
I promise to introduce you to as many "truths" as we can come across.  To show you that the many cultures and customs around the world hold meaning and value.  And most importantly to realize that people are beautiful and enigmatic and valuable and inherently good.
I will always be on your side.  I will always love you with a depth and breadth that still overwhelms me.  And I promise to continue improving myself for my own benefit and for yours as well.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If you enjoyed this post, you may also like:
Pillow Talk 
My Thirteen Tips for Parenting Your Strong-Willed Child 
A Query from a Confused Parent


4 comments:

  1. Wonderful! I think I'm going to use this like an outline for my own! I've been thinking of writing it all out for a while! The words just never come out right when I sit down to do it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful! I think I'm going to use this like an outline for my own! I've been thinking of writing it all out for a while! The words just never come out right when I sit down to do it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this! Reflecting about what we want to model as parents helps keep us more on track. As an old college professor of mine was fond of saying

    "If you lose track of where you're headed, chances are you'll end up someplace else."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brought tears to my eyes! I definitely want to print this out in plain view as a reminder!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment!