Friday, January 20, 2012

HOMESCHOOL QUESTIONNAIRE



Homeschoolers are NOTORIOUS for privacy AND for excellent blogs...LOL...We may possibly be a bit dichotomous. 

In the spirit of getting to know more about the readers of this blog, ALL readers, not just the homeschoolers, I have come up with a brief questionnaire for ALL.  Please, if you are interested, copy and paste my questions into your reply box and...ANSWER THEM!

ALL Questions are to ask your kids!
  1. Are you a homeschooler?  If so, what "type"?
  2. What books are your favorites?  School books? 
  3. Reading books?  And why???
  4. What do you do FOR FUN that doesn't count as a lesson?
  5. Do you have any friends or family that don't really support homeschooling?  What do they say and what do YOU say to them?
  6. What is a unique lesson your family has participated in lately?
  7. What is each child's favorite activity?
  8. Give some advice to "newbies" to homeschool.
  9. What has been very hard for you?
  10. What was not as hard as you had anticipated?
  11. Do you have a favorite website or other curriculum piece?
  12. Do you have any favorite homeschool jokes or comics?
  13. What do they love about homeschooling?
  14. What is Mom or Dad's STRENGTH when homeschooling?
  15. What is something that is hard to focus on?
  16. What do people ask you or say to you about homeschooling? 
  17. Have you had anything funny happen when people discover you homeschool?
  18. WHAT ABOUT SOCIALIZATION?
Thanks so much for participating!

6 comments:

  1. We are pretty much out there as homeschoolers, not much privacy on my blog. I live in a smallish town, and am well armed. I figure I have been out there for a long time, in cyber space, with other subjects. No need to hide now. But the kids had fun with your questionnaire, and I was surprised by at least one of the answers. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are going to have fun with this one Karen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Answering these myself -- will run it by the kids another time. :-) If thy feel like responding I'll post it on my blog

    Are you a homeschooler? If so, what "type"?

    We're a hybrid homeschooling family. My teens are relaxed eclectic and my 8-year-old unschools.

    What books are your favorites? School books?

    This is homeschooling heresy, but my kids don't read much. They get more learning through other avenues. They do enjoy fantasy fiction, like Harry Potter, Artemis Fowl, Percy Jackson, and the lot, especially my 13 y/o son.

    Reading books? And why???

    I love books with a passion, but I've made peace with the fact that my teens prefer learning through movies, video games, YouTube, etc. I strew as many books as possible that I think will interest them and encourage them to find a balance.

    What do you do FOR FUN that doesn't count as a lesson?

    Me -- reading blogs, of course. :-)

    Do you have any friends or family that don't really support homeschooling? What do they say and what do YOU say to them?

    My dad's fiancee doesn't believe in homeschooling, and my family is a little iffy about supporting our choice to homeschool now that the older kids are teens and I have a 17 y/o who shows no interest in going to college. Luckily, they all have lives of their own and don't seem to dwell on it. I remind them that publicly schooled kids are often not motivated for college, and they aren't necessarily academically prepared either. And my kids don't have to endure bullying. Except when their siblings chase them around the house, blasting them with silly string.

    What is a unique lesson your family has participated in lately?

    Hmmm ...

    What is each child's favorite activity?

    #1 - Watching movies and writing fiction #2 - Video gaming #3 - It varies - board and cards games, art, cooking, and playing with friends

    Give some advice to "newbies" to homeschool.

    This has been said many times, but if your kids are leaving school, especially if it didn't work well for them, give yourselves permission to take a break and deschool for a while. There will be plenty of time for plans and curricula later. Don't worry too much about "falling behind" -- homeschooling is a very different animal from traditional schooling.

    What has been very hard for you?

    Trying to balance the needs of 3 kids at very different ages with very different temperaments, interests and learning styles

    What was not as hard as you had anticipated?

    Finding other homeschoolers with a secular bent.

    Do you have a favorite website or other curriculum piece?

    livingmath.net

    Do you have any favorite homeschool jokes or comics?

    Cristina's stuff at Homespun Juggling

    What do they love about homeschooling?

    Not having to get up so early in the morning. ;-) Being able to spend hours a day, if they choose, focusing on what interests them.

    What is Mom or Dad's STRENGTH when homeschooling?

    I am pretty good at being spontaneous and creative.

    What is something that is hard to focus on?

    I suck at consistency.

    What do people ask you or say to you about homeschooling?

    They sometimes say homeschooled kids are "smarter" than other children. I hate that. Why make silly generalizations?

    Have you had anything funny happen when people discover you homeschool?

    Hmmm ...

    WHAT ABOUT SOCIALIZATION?

    Do you mean "socializing?" Huge problem. My family socializes so damn much we have trouble ever finding time to be home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would enjoy reading your kids' replies! lol

      Delete

Leave a comment!