Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Competitively Speaking

I am still Homeschool Atheist Momma!
Atheist parenting secular parenting humanist parenting when it is hard
!<-- --="" addthis="" begin="" button="">

The 2014 Olympics in Sochi have been quite exciting to watch this year. We are Americans seeing the Olympics while living in another country and that alone is interesting. Australia is a country with a fraction of the population of the US, so their ability to compete has some limitations. But even more than the reduced population is a cultural thing that does not focus on competition.

Yes, the Australian Olympians truly want to win and yes they have fought hard to get there. But their ability to enjoy the games without getting medals is something to remark on.

I'm not sure if I am going to express this adequately or clearly but I want to give it a try. We have noticed a major lack of the competitive spirit here in Australia. From business to these Olympic games, people seem to be more laid back, happy to participate, satisfied with their effort. While this does not apply to cricket or rugby (!) it often surprises us when we notice a lack of pressure, an absence of genuine crushing tension, just less AntiYOU/YayME type stress.

Look, it's very possible that I'm just missing seeing it, but I don't think so. We've noticed it in many different spheres of life. And we like it; it fits our way of thinking.


And speaking of the Winter Olympics, our own appreciation of the winter Olympics this year has emboldened the kids to get onto ice skates and try out their own ice dancing and skate tricks. My THANKS to Torah Brights for her inspirational story! We met two homeschooling friends at the rink today and enjoyed ourselves tremendously!
John did two 180s in a row and Elizabeth felt like a gorgeous ice skater! 


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If you enjoyed this post, you may also like:  Down By Byron Bay
Or you may enjoy reading:  Another Day, Another Aussie Dollar
Or try this one:  Another Brissie Adventure

5 comments:

  1. Really? Because I find our obsession with how the Aussies are going ridiculous! Next they will be saying that winter sports need more funding! But perhaps I need to get out more for a wider perspective :-)

    I love that you went skating and could actually do it and met homeschoolers too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really? Because I find our obsession with how the Aussies are going ridiculous! Next they will be saying that winter sports need more funding! But perhaps I need to get out more for a wider perspective :-)

    I love that you went skating and could actually do it and met homeschoolers too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think everyone is just very happy and enjoying the wins!

      I wish YOU were closer, we could hang for my last week!
      *wink*

      Delete
  3. Hi Karen!

    ah...summer olympics. A wonderful diversity of athletic sport. winter olympics?? that's just 98 variations of "sliding."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL LOL

      Ah, John! How wonderful to be in the presence of your sense of humor once again!

      Delete

Leave a comment!