Thursday, June 25, 2015

You Take My Breath Away

the beauty of life, musings, atheist parent atheist parent
What takes your breath away?

Last month my daughter was on stage in a very dramatic moment of a scene when I realized that I had actually forgotten to breath! I was sitting up straight with a ridiculous smile on my face and I am sure I looked like a hunting dog...

I couldn't take my eyes off of her.

Similarly, she was recently in a local independent movie and, while watching her scene, I noticed that I was getting light-headed. I had simply forgotten to breath.

Sometimes, when John is looking into my eyes, forehead to forehead, I try to appear calm. But on the inside, I am overcome.

The love. It is so deep.
I've been a parent for over eighteen years now and you would think that I would be used to the overwhelming depth of it all...but I'm not. I'm still moved by the gentle breathing out, breathing in and I'm still filled with wonder at the variations of color of an eye. I'm still amazed at the depth and breadth of compassion I see in them. The depth of thought and understanding that a child displays still has the power to throw me for a loop.  My children. 


Are they perfect?  HELZ to the no.
But their intentions are good, their hearts are sweet, and their determination shows.


Just another sappy I love being a parent post...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You Might Also Enjoy:
Heart Outside of my Body

Do You Know Who I Am?
One of my Worst Parenting Days: Making Mountains
A Letter to the Parents of a "Difficult" Child
Some Days Suck

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!